Wednesday, August 12, 2009

One Less Link to Camalot

There was a time in my life when I was totally fascinated with the Kennedys. I was most fascinated with how Joe and Rose raised their children.

No, I'm not blind to the Kennedy craziness. From the bootlegging to Chappaquiddick - from "I think I'll get our daughter a lobotomy while Rose is out of town" to the somewhat risky behavior of racing down the ski slopes drunk and backwards and slamming into trees.

And, yes, I lived in West Palm Beach during the Kennedy nephew rape trial. (It was during that time that the "Ted Kennedy dress shirt and nothing else" style was popularized.")

So I get it. The Kennedys are flawed.

But aren't we all? We're all complicated and we all come from murky gene pools.

I feel very sad that another of the nine children of Joe and Rose Kennedy is gone. Eunice Kennedy Shriver is dead at age 88. She was the champion of special needs kids. She founded the Special Olympics. Her son, Robert, said "She never ran for public office but she changed the world." I agree.

Her son in law, the bodybuilding, multi-millionaire Republican movie star, Arnold Schwarzenegger, said: She changed my life...by putting me on the path to public service, starting with drafting me as a coach for the Special Olympics."

Joe and Rose Kennedy taught their children that much is expected of those to whom much has been given. We've all benefited from this legacy.

Joesph Kennedy, Jr. died a war hero in WW II.
John Kennedy's short time as president shaped all of our lives in positives ways.
Bobby Kennedy, as Attorney General, fought the bad guys to the end.
Jean Kennedy Smith served as ambassador to Ireland for many years.
Ted Kennedy has been a senator for almost 50 years.

Sadly, we will be reminded if his great accomplishments all too soon.

Besides all of the other endeavors, the children of Rose and Joe had a huge number of offspring. Most of them are in public service.

So we'll continue to be blessed in many ways as the legacy lives on. Because much is expected of those to whom much is given.


***