Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Am Not a Sports Fan

Sometimes when we're discussing current events and I acknowledge that, yes, I have heard of Tiger Woods, Dave will say "See, you do know something about sports."

And I always respond with: "I didn't say I didn't know - I said I didn't care. "

But it's hard to ignore sports when the three inch tall headlines in this morning's paper shout:

FAVRE FEVRE

OK, it seems that there's this football player named Brett Favre who's been playing hard to get with this football team called "The Vikings." But now he's agreed to come to what we in Minnesota like to call "The Purple Side."

Vikings fans are reacting like he's a rock star.

I understand he played football for the Green Bay Packers until he retired. Green Bay is in the neighboring state of Wisconsin so the Packers are, apparently, rivals of the Vikings.

Brett Favre is old (39) gray and injured so I don't know what the fuss is all about. But the Vikings website that usually gets about a hundred thousand hits a day (???) got a million yesterday.

Since I'm not a sports fan, this is all a big mystery to me.


***