Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Connection to John Dillinger

OK, yes, he was shot in front of the movie theater several years before I was born. But I grew up in Indianapolis and, like it or not, John Dillinger was a folk hero. Still is. I'm sure that Crown Hill is filling up with visitors as I'm writing this.

When I was growing up in Indianapolis we lived on a corner. The street that ran beside our house was Jefferson Avenue. It was one block long and my brother and I knew every family on the block. All the kids did.

About half way down lived an old man. He was a recluse. We hardly ever saw him and we knew not to mess around in his yard. His name was Mr. Dillinger and the word was that he was John Dillinger's half brother, Hubert.

Everybody on the block just accepted this as fact and left him alone.

This morning I've spent an hour or so Googling the Dillinger family but I can't find any proof that the Mr. Dillinger on Jefferson Avenue, was, in fact, John's brother.

My boyfriend and I saw "Public Enemies" last night. We both liked it a lot. I could have done with a little less shooting and car chases but the look of the movie is terrific, the story is exciting and seems accurate, and, of course, Johnny Depp is, well, Johnny Depp.

When you see the movie you will understand why Dillinger was seen as a hero by some.

One day we kids were playing in the street on Jefferson Avenue. Several police cars, with no sirens, pulled up in front of Mr. Dillinger's house. They were in the house for a long time (or so it seemed to me) then emerged with old Mr. Dillinger in handcuffs.

The neighbors said that John Dillinger's brother had gone crazy.

That's all I know.


***