Friday, July 3, 2009

Healthy Kids

When I was a kid my dad believed that fat people were healthy and skinny people were not. Since he saw my mother waste away with a long terminal illness I can understand his mind set.

But we know that, generally speaking, fat kids aren't healthy and, in fact, we're experiencing a fat kid crisis in this country.

But now we've learned that Minnesota, where I'm visiting for the summer, has the honor of having the lowest rate of overweight children in the nation.

They attribute this to physical activity and low poverty rates. Unlike my dad, they don't believe that the richer you get the fatter you need to be.

A few times a week we drive through a delightful little neighborhood. All of the houses are small but beautifully appointed, with flowers everywhere. But what strikes me is that there are always children playing out front. They're on Big Wheels and bikes; playing ball and tumbling down Slip 'n Slides.

I rarely see this in other neighborhoods in other states. I wonder why kids don't play outside much anymore.

So congrats, Minnesota.

On the other hand, the state that rates the highest in overweight or obese kids is Mississippi with 44.4%. Yes, that's almost half.

I guess what Garrison Keillor says about mythical Lake Wobegon is true for the entire state of Minnesota.

...where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average.


***