Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mighty Mississippi

Last night we had a picnic with friends on the Mississippi River. Hard to remember that it starts way up here. How could we have a picnic at night? It doesn't get dark here until after 9:00 P.M. in the summer. Kind of strange.

Our job was to bring deviled eggs and dessert. We bought the dessert at the bakery so it was kinda easy. But I'm still not used to having a partner in the kitchen. It's amazing that he's so patient with me. We bought a variety of gourmet dessert bars but decided we'd cut them into fourths. He got out the knife.

Wait! I wasn't sure he he had the expertise to slice them. But he reminded me that he actually had a degree in this kind of thing (architecture.) They ended up in perfect, precise one inch squares.

Then he started to place the filling in the eggs. I felt the need to remind him that it has to come out even. He gently reminded me that when he eats pancakes at McDonald's his pancakes, syrup and sausage always finish up at the same time.

We have lots of small and big decisions to make in the next few months.

My fiance's house - that he's lived in for 42 years - sits on Minnehaha Creek. It flows into the Mississippi and the Mississippi flows all the way to the other end of the country.

And, of course, I live at the other end of the country. But I'm confident we can work all this out.


***