Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Reading


Since I've been in Minnesota I've read a book by Stephen King. I started one by Daniel Silva but didn't like it. I have a 50 page rule. If it doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages I'm done.

Yesterday I started my first book of the summer that I know I'm going to love. I read the first 90 pages in one sitting. And that's not like me.

It's The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs.

He's an editor at Esquire but wrote a best seller a while back called The Know-It-All. It's about the encyclopedia. I plan to read it next.

His writing is hysterically funny, irreverent and smart. And it makes me think. Here's a short excerpt from the beginning of the introduction.

As I write this, I have a beard that makes me resemble Moses. Or Abe Lincoln. Or Ted Kaczynski. I've been called all three.

It's not a well-manicured, socially acceptable beard. It's an untamed mass that creeps up toward my eyeballs and drapes below my neckline.

...Strangers have come up to me and petted my beard, like it's a Labrador retriever puppy or a pregnant woman's stomach.

I'll write more about this book later - but in the meantime you might want to pick it up yourself.


***