Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm Still an Orphan

Quote from Oscar Wilde's, "The Importance of Being Earnest."

Lady Bracknell: Are your parents living?
Jack: I have lost both my parents.
Lady Bracknell: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

I just finished reading a moving article in "The New York Times Magazine." It's adapted from the new book by Christopher Buckley called "Losing Mum and Pup."

It deals with Buckley losing his famous parents, Patrica and William F. Buckley.

I can relate to Buckley's account of becoming an orphan at age 55. Of course, we have absolutely nothing else in common. William F. Buckley and his wife were descendants of old, old money; accomplished, conservative and elitist.

I was about 55 years old when my dad (and last remaining parent) died. As dads go, mine was no great shakes, but, Christopher Buckley had serious issues with his parents as well.

But we were both surprised at our feelings of now being the last generation of our families. Or, as Buckley says:

You've now moved into the green room of the River Styx.

I love Christopher Buckley's writing. It's crisp, funny and real. And not one bit elitist like his dad's. (Although listening to William F. Buckley speak was always entertaining.)

This article reminded me that all of us have issues with our parents that need to be put to bed. Some of us find it to be too painful and prefer to take them to the grave.

I think the book "Losing Mum and Pup" can be a source of healing for all of us orphans.


***