Monday, June 22, 2009

Chinese Fortune Teller

Yesterday was Father's Day. So, after church, I took my boyfriend to lunch. He's not my dad but he was and is a good dad so it was fun to remind him.

We went to his favorite Chinese restaurant and shared a Walleye fish dish. It came with the head attached. I tried to get my boyfriend to take the head home for a sandwich later, but no dice.

We chit chatted with a man sitting beside us who was obviously taking his dad to lunch. They talked about interesting things. I complimented the man for being a good son.

Then I told him about a serious problem that had just arisen and asked his opinion. Our place mats told us that I was born in the year of the tiger and my boyfriend was born in the year of the monkey. And that we are not compatible. In fact, they said the monkey should avoid the tiger!

The young man thought for a minute and said, "I don't believe you should base your future on Chinese place mats."

How wise.

They left. And a few minutes later the waiter came by and said that the young man and his father had paid for our lunch.

We were amazed. He was not only wise but generous. I wonder what his place mat said.


***