Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Meaing of Enough

I was listening to a stranger at a party the other night talking about the economy and the pain of having to cut back on some expensive toys.

As you know, I taught a class a few months ago called "Enough."

My boyfriend and I both know the meaning of enough. We know one way to be rich is to live within our means - and to be happy about it. Well, I'm not always happy about it but I know it's the right attitude to have.

The Apostle Paul said, "I have learned to be content in all circumstances." And that's saying something because, by our standards, he got himself into some pretty dandy messes.

My favorite writer, Kurt Vonnegut once told the following story: He was at a party with another great writer, Joseph Heller. It was at this rich guy's fabulous beach house. Kurt said, "Joe, doesn't it bother you that this guy makes more in a day than you ever made for Catch-22?"

Heller replied, "No, not really. I have something he doesn't have. I know the meaning of enough."


***