Saturday, March 28, 2020

Love and Bravery in the Time of Coronavirus

A couple of days ago, I  got out my Rosie the Riveter jigsaw puzzle.  It's one of my favorites and something to do these days while I'm listening to NPR.

During World War II Rosie was a cultural icon symbolizing women across the country who replaced our men who went off to the war by working in factories across the nation, producing tanks, ships, planes, etc.

Yesterday I asked my soon to be 16 year old granddaughter if she'd ever heard of Rosie.  She had not.  But we know that bad times bring out the best in many of us.  It's helping me, everyday, to read and hear about our current heroes.  Mostly medical folks, of course, but so many others who are doing their best to keep us safe.  Hard, scary times help us figure out who we are and who we want to be.

That's a great reason in itself for those of us who can't do much to at least behave ourselves - and do the best we can to help others in small ways.  It all counts.

After the war, the Rosies pretended they didn't know how build airplanes and returned to their former lives as homemakers and become what we later referred to as "50's Housewives."

And that is how all you boomers got here.


***