Monday, March 2, 2020

A Being and Doing Reminder


One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books is:

If  you know who you are you'll know what to do.

My time in church yesterday morning was an exciting reminder of both concepts - Being and Doing.
Dr. Jean Raffa

First  in Forum, our speaker was Jean Raffa.  Jean is an expert on getting to know and understand ourselves.  (Look up her website.)  Jean is a "Jungian."  Carl Jung and Sigmund Fraud were pals but differed a bit on what makes us - us!  Jung believed what we think we know about ourselves (our ego) is only a small part of who we are compared to our unconscious selves.  So I should spend some time getting to know the current me.  (Jung was big on dream interpretations.)

As you know, I'm not a big woo-woo person but I think Jean and Carl are right on.

After Forum I met up with our minister, David, and he introduced me to this unpretentious man who was to be our speaker in worship.  I recognized him but couldn't put my finger on who he was.

It was Dr. Gary Mason.  He's a United Methodist Minister but so much more.  Like he's a global peace maker.  Most notably in Ireland but also has been part of the Israel, Palestine crisis and many others.  Much of his involvement is quiet.  (Therefore it requires a mature ego.)  He heads up an organization called "Rethinking Conflict."  (Look up his website.)
Dr. Gary Mason


Here's a quote from yesterday's sermon:  Leadership is NOT about being popular.  It's about doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

In other words, If you know who you are you'll know what to do.



***