Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Face Down

Many years ago my friend, Nancy, had some terrible eye problem.  It required surgery - and then she had to lie face-down for three weeks.  I remembered being horrified by this prospect.

Then, a few weeks ago I noticed that, if I closed my left eye,I had a black hole in the vision in my right eye.  For instance, I'd be at a stop light, close my left eye, and the stop light would disappear.  My friend, Nancy, told me that she discovered her problem when she closed her good eye in church and the minister's head disappeared.

I finally got myself to the ophthalmologist.  He announced I had a retina hole in the back of my eye (same as Nancy) and I was sent immediately to the Florida Retina Institute.  Who knew that such a place existed?  Not me.

Yesterday I had surgery at the hospital that is five minutes from my house.  The excellent news in all of this is that I have to lie face-down only four to five days.

Actually I sit on the couch with my head down or lie on my bed.  I rented the contraption in the photo from a place called "Comfortable Recovery."  I'm lying on it now while I'm typing this.

Those of you who know Dave will not be surprised that he's an excellent caregiver.  Since I can't sleep on my back, he filled a nylon backpack with wadded up newspapers for me to wear to bed.  It's comfortable but lets me know when I try to turn over.  My daughter had a world of ideas for staying comfortable as well.

My bandages came off this afternoon.  Dave just finished making me this chart.  I just set my iPhone to remind me when to take the meds.

I am a person who needs constant stimulation.  I truly would have gone bonkers if I had to lie face-down for three weeks with nothing to do.

But I'm thinking this will be a piece of cake.


***