Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hallelujah

Leonard Cohen died last month.  He was a Canadian singer, songwriter, poet, musician, novelist and painter.  He's one of those people we could describe as deeply spiritual but maybe not religious.  He eventually became a Buddhist monk, during five years of seclusion.

One of his most famous songs was - and is - Hallelujah.  It's been said that he wrote 80 verses.  I believe it.

So what would we discuss in Forum on this, January 1, 2017,  after the year, 2016, that most are describing in extremely negative verbiage, due to personal, local, national and international tragedies?

Hallelujah, of course.

We talked about four of the 80 verses.  A couple of them are very biblical.  But, if you had a terrible 2016, I'll leave you with the last verse we discussed.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Leonard Cohen 1934-2016



***