Friday, January 20, 2017

True Grit

Original cover showing
Mattie and her horse, Little
Blackie
My book club reads good and, many times challenging, books.  So when one of this winter's assignments was True Grit, I was surprised.

I've seen both of the films.  The first was made in 1969 and starred John Wayne.  He won the Academy Award for his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn.  The next, made in 2010, starred Jeff Bridges and was produced by the Coan brothers.

The book, written by Charles Portis in 1968, was an instant hit.  It was a serial in the Saturday Evening Post.  Whole families read it together.  It's seen by many as one of the great American novels.  What I quickly leaned was that it's not about Rooster Cogburn.  It's about - and narrated by - 14 year old Mattie Ross.

I was just fourteen years of ago when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shot my father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robbed him of his life and his horse and $150 in cash money plus two California gold pieces that he carried in his trouser band. 

So Mattie is on a revenge mission of Old Testament proportions.  She will not be deterred.  Throughout the entire novel, she is in charge.  The book is very funny and sweet and cold blooded.  It is about an empowered young woman.

I love the way it's written.  The names of many of the characters, especially the bad guys, are funny.  Lucky Ned Penny and The Original Greaser Bob are usually referred to by their full names.

And, of course, I liked the following.  A young bandit lays dying and says to Rooster:

"My brother is George Garrett.  He is a Methodist circuit rider in south Texas.  I want you to sell my traps, Rooster, and send the money to him in care of the district superintendent in Austin....." 

"Do you want me to tell your brother what happened to you?"

"It don't matter about that.  He knows I am on the scout.  I will meet him later walking the streets of Glory."


***