Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Will I Die Sooner Because I Live in Florida and I'm not Urber Rich?

Recent reports in JAMA state that people with higher income live longer.  (Yes, that makes sense) But with this interesting nuance.  There is no leveling off point.  Because I have more income than, say, a homeless person, I can understand my chances of living longer are higher.  But JAMA is saying that the people who have the most money (that pesky top 1%) live longer than the rest of us.

But where you live makes a difference.  If you live in Salt Lake City and are rich you live the longest.  But the highest income people in Las Vegas live four years less than Salt Lake City.

Poor people who live in San Francisco or New York live longer than poor people in Detroit. (Maybe for poor folks living in Detroit it just seems longer.)

Experts believe these disparities are due to public health efforts in various cities.

So we regular folks have to use our own efforts to stay healthy.   But, sadly, some of living a long, healthy life has to do with having boat loads of money and excellent health insurance.


***