Monday, April 4, 2016

50th Wedding Anniversary

This is my Grandma and Grandpa Strange on their 50th wedding anniversary.  They were old.  Their activities were pretty much confined to sitting on the porch.  My grandpa died shortly after this.  My grandma lived several more years, but she was ready to go.  Years before her death I remember asking her why she didn't get her glasses fixed and she said she wasn't planning to use them much longer.

My Grandma Strange gave birth (to my knowledge) 12 times,  including a set of twins, for a grand total of 13 children.  They were a hard working farm family.

So, statistically, for that time in history, they were exceptional in having a 50th wedding anniversary.

But it's also exceptional today.  Despite the fact that we're living much longer, only 5% of us make it to the 50 year mark.  This is due to many factors, including divorce and marrying later in life.

However, I have several friends who've celebrated their 50th wedding anniversaries.  None of them look or act like my grandparents.  They are traveling between homes, vacationing in Europe, going on mission trips to third world countries, volunteering in schools, going to the theater and taking classes.  They work out and wear make up.  They spend time on the Internet every day.

This past week we attended two 50th wedding anniversary parties.  They were very different but both off the chart fun, exciting and beautiful.  Both of them were hosted by the couples' children.

Of the combined six children, only three of them have a shot at getting to their 50th wedding anniversaries.  So, it's still a rare and beautiful thing.

As you know, neither Dave nor I made it to our 50th.  Both of our spouses died after 44 years of marriage.  But, also as you know, Dave has promised me ten (vertical) years - and I'm holding him to it.


***