Thursday, April 28, 2016

Coke and Cigarettes



A friend sent me these old ads.   When I was a kid I spent my summers on a farm in southern Indiana with my aunt and various other relatives who arrived on the weekends for huge dinners - mostly in the yard.  The farm was on a mountain called Floyd's Knobs.  The yard overlooked a magnificent view.

In all the years I spent time with these relatives - and at home in Indianapolis with my dad - there was absolutely no alcohol consumption.  But there were always plenty of cokes and cigarettes.  The cokes were in those little 5 ounce bottles and were kept on ice or sometimes - when we went swimming or fishing in the creek -  they were put in the cold running stream.  In Indianapolis I loved going to the corner drugstore for a chocolate fountain coke.
I

I loved Coke but I never tried the cigarettes.  I discovered later that I was allergic so just being close to the smoke made me sick.  However, that didn't stop all of the grownups in my life from smoking all the time.  
But let's give them a break.  It was still in the time when coke and cigarettes were seen by some as wonder drugs. Moms fed cokes to babies who had colic.  It wasn't unusual to see nipples on coke bottles.  Chain smoking was considered healthy.

Now I occasionally have a diet/caffeine free coke.  But I am extremely grateful to live in a smoke free environment.


***