Friday, March 6, 2015

Time To Give It Up?

Harrison Ford, age 72
In my class "Being Mortal" which I am loving because there are such interesting, open, smart people showing up - we, just this Wednesday, discussed having to give up some things we used to do.  In fact, some things we used to be very good at.

Several folks volunteered information about what they've given up, including Dave who has had to give up golf.

It's good if we can admit it, mourn the lose, and move on.

And now I see that one of my favorite movie stars, Harrison Ford, had to crash his small, vintage plane into Penmar Golf Course near Santa Monica, when the engine failed right after take off.

We know that Mr. Ford is an excellent pilot (see his 2002 film "Just Another Pilot" if you don't believe me.)  In an area of home and shopping centers, he managed to find the safest place to land.

Not just for the open space but it was a golf course so doctors were there.

Various reports are coming out about how badly he was hurt.  I'm sure we'll hear lots more in the next 24 hours or so.

I'm not suggesting that it's time for Mr. Ford to give up flying.  He showed superior skill in bringing the plane down.  But maybe he'll replace this plane with a much newer and a little bigger model.

Get well, Harrison Ford.


***