Thursday, March 12, 2015

Quality of Life - All My Life

In order to have a good quality of life we all need some sort of "Assisted Living."    Busy,  successful folks have lawn service, dry cleaning picked up and delivered,  house cleaners and so on.  Others of us just help each other out.

It takes a little different turn when we need the assist because we are declining.  But the fact is, we need other people to assist us all through our lives.

And the opposite is true, I need to assist others if I want to be fulfilled as a human.  We all need a cause beyond ourselves.  I need a reason to get out of bed in the morning besides just having fun and watching old Seinfeld reruns.

We're having some great discussions in the "Being Mortal" class I'm currently facilitating.  Yesterday I threw out three questions for discussion.  My son, Scott, sent them to me.  They're from MIT AgeLab and are designed to help facilitate a successful (financial) retirement.  But they can be used any time we make a change, especially as we move from the big house to the condo or from the condo to assisted living.  Here they are:

1.  Who will change my light bulbs?  Who will take care of the physical things I used to do but can't or don't want to do anymore?  When I moved into my condo almost 20 years ago I made sure it was well run.  It looks better now than it did then.  If or when I need to go to some sort of assisted living, how it's maintained is important.  I, or somebody representing me, needs to check it out.

2.  How will I get an ice cream cone?  How will I still be able to go to places that are meaningful to me?   I'm an urban person.  Our condo is close to almost everything.  It's in the interstate corridor.  But for the last couple of years I've been balking at traveling out to the university to see plays and eat with friends.  I still love to do it but the commute is hard and getting home at midnight is too.

If I ever have to go to "the Home," having transportation, (not just to the doctor's office but to the theater, church, library, museums, etc.) will be extremely important for my quality of life.

3.  Who will I have lunch with?  I love a huge number of people.  But not all of them are stimulating.  And I'm a woman who needs lots of stimulation.  I need to be with folks who have open minds and open hearts.  I have that now - and I don't ever want to lose it.

So pondering these three questions if or when moving time comes will be helpful, indeed.


***