Sunday, March 29, 2015

My Mission

In this very serious time of year leading up to Easter, I've been thinking about the meaning of life.  Especially the meaning of my life - at this stage of my life.

I've shared with you several times the remarkable writing of my old friend, Jim Whinnie.  Jim has Alzheimer's but he's still very active as a writer, Methodist minister and all the other roles he carries including his presence at a monastery from time to time.

The other day he quoted a nun, saying words that resonated with me in a profound way.  Jim was ending his visit at the monastery and he writes:

As I type these words, I sit in an airport waiting for my flight to be called.  And beside me is my vigilant guide, Sister Rosa.  I told her I would be fine...but she answered..."It is my mission to guide you safely home and that is what I will do."

And so I say to a precious few people in my life...If I manage to outlive you..."It is my mission to guide you safely home and that is what I will do."




***