Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Messy Families

In my book club meeting this afternoon we discussed the book "The Husband's Secret."  It's a
complicated book about relationships.  It's a soap opera.  But isn't this what family relationships are?

My minister, Dr. Bob, started a new series this past Sunday called "Myths of Parenting."  I was thinkin' "Oh no, I don't want to hear about parenting.  I'm done."  But he surprised me, as he frequently does,  by saying just what I needed to hear.

Dr. Bob talked about King David, the greatest king of Israel.  There's more written about David than any other character in the Old Testament.  He's my favorite character in the O.T.  Why?  Because he's smart and good looking and powerful and God's man.  And he's passionate, jealous, a murderer, a liar and - even though he's the king of Israel - he can't keep his grown children under control.

2 Samuel 13 is about his kids Amnon, Tamar and Absalom.  They're a mess.  Amnon rapes Tamar then kicks her out.  Absalom takes her in, but then goes to war with his dad, King David.

Not smart.  You don't mess with David.

In the end Absalom is not only defeated, but killed.  How does David react when he gets the news?

2 Samuel 18:33 The king was overcome with emotion.  He went up to the room over the gateway and burst into tears.  And as he went, he cried, "O my son Absalom!  My son, my son Absalom!  If only I had died instead of you!  O Absalom, my son, my son.

This is what it's like sometimes to be the parent of grown children.

***