Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jim's Remarkable Facebook Post

I like Facebook for many reasons - besides stalking my kids.

I've shared with you portions of a couple of my old friend,  Jim McWhinnie's Facebook posts.  Jim is a super smart, deeply spiritual retired United Methodist minister who has Alzheimer's decease.   I read his posts every day and they affect me greatly.  Just couldn't resist sharing this entire post.  It's amazing and inspiring.   Especially to all of us who are, occasionally, a "little off in the head."  Thank you, Jim.

MY ALZHEIMER'S JOURNAL...January 21, 2015

At a local restaurant last night, three elderly gentlemen were sitting in the booth next to where my wife and I were seated.  When the young waitress delivered their orders, apparently one of the orders was not prepared as how the man had requested.  I do not know if it was or not, we arrived after they had ordered.  Well, he blew up and tore into the server long and hard...she offered, "Sir, I'm sorry I misunderstood.  Let me take it back and get it right."  But that did not suffice...he went on and on berating this young waitress.  The other two men simply remained silent.  On and on he tore into her.  And in the end, he kept the order, dismissing her with disdain.  I was impressed with the young waitress' endurance of his rage.

After she left, I stood up - to my wife's horror - and faced the man.  He shouted at me, "What are you looking at?  Mind your own business!"  I responded...I thought calmly yet forthrightly..."I am looking at a mean, old man who likes to beat up on young women...and how you treated that young lady IS my business...did you ever think she might be my daughter?"

He started to rise but the other two men hushed him up.

When I sat down I told my wife..."If I ever get like that...promise that you will shoot me."  And my dear sweet, soft-spoken, conflict avoiding wife answered, "You're darn tootin' I'll shoot you.  Now having said that...I want to say I am so very proud of you."

When we received our check our waitress wrote on the check..."Thank you for being a Dad when my friend needed one...dinner is on all of us servers.  Again, thank you."

All tha to say this...before the Alzheimer's and what that diagnosis gave me in courageous resolve...I probably would have not come to that young lady's defense.  Sometimes...it is a good thing...to be a little off in the head.

jim mcwhinnie