Monday, January 5, 2015

Culture Wars

In Forum yesterday they handed out a Generational Differences Chart for us to examine and think about this week.

My age group (born 1900-1945) has had various names, Greatest Generation, Silents, Radio Babies and Traditionalists, to name a few.  We're supposed to have certain attributes like working hard, being patient, patriotic, and responsible.  We're also savers.  All of that describes me.  I sometimes tell people I have a "depression mentality" even though I didn't live through the depression.

A friend who is an executive at an upscale retirement community tells me it's important for their staff to know these generational differences in order to understand where their residents are coming from.

But I also find myself very much identifying with the "Baby Boomer Culture."  When I was a young woman I was all about equal rights, personal growth and wanting to make a difference.  Also, instead of telling my children to believe everything their teachers told them, I told them to question everything.

Two famous people listed from my generation are Bob Dole and Elizabeth Taylor.  I've always found it important and fun to relate to current cultural stars.  That's why I've mentioned to you several times the two currently most famous Kims -  Kardashian and Jong Un.

Decades ago I told stories about Frank Sinatra and Elizabeth Taylor.  For instance, when I led Bible studies and we discussed  Mark 12:25, where they asked Jesus about the woman who had several husbands, who she would be married to in heaven, I referred to it as "The Elizabeth Taylor Scripture." Still do.

By the way, can you name all of Elizabeth Taylor's husbands?  Dave and I can.  That's because we're  "Radio/Golden Age of Hollywood Babies."


***