Friday, December 12, 2014

R - E - S - P - E - C -T

The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts is a brand new, lavish "state of the art" theater in downtown Orlando.  Going forward, this is where we'll attend the opera, the philharmonic and other fancy venues.

This week there was a letter to the editor in the Sentinel titled:  God's OK with Shorts, Arts Should Be Too.

In it the writer is complaining that he went to the theater  and received some flack because he wore shorts and a t shirt.

I am very forgiving about what people wear.  I could never be a member of the Fashion Police.  But, as Penny says in The Big Bang Theory, this kind of attitude "creams my corn!"


Loretta and Ronny were working class folks
who knew how to dress for the opera


Here's why:

All over the world, here are occasions where what people wear becomes part of a social contract, whether spoken or unspoken.  Attending The Dr. Phillips Center is one of them.

Dave and I were on a cruise a couple of months ago.  There were three formal nights.  The dress code was clearly communicated both before and during the cruise.  There were places to eat other than the formal dining rooms.  Most women wore  short cocktail dresses or long,  more formal gowns .  Most men wore tuxedos or dark suits.   But some people made a point of showing up in shorts, windbreakers, sneakers, crocs, etc.

I'll have to say that this is mostly a guy thing - this need to buck the dress code.  But here's some advice.  Your wife or girlfriend most likely wants you to dress up and you're acting like a big baby.

How much you spend on the outfit is not a factor.  Respect is.

The letter writer went on to say that he wears shorts to church and nobody complains.  The people in my church welcome everybody, no matter what they wear.  But I visit churches where I know it would not be appropriate to be anything but dressed up - so I wear my Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes.  Out of respect.


***