Thursday, December 18, 2014

All I Want for Christmas is No Stress

Dave and I have about reached peek capacity party-wise here at home so we're leaving soon for Atlanta and Chicago to...as Wayne on "Wayne's World used to say...party on!

But one thing that I used to have big time, that I no longer have, is holiday stress.

One of the party events I attended last week was a Women's Celebration at my church.  While I used to speak at women's events and lead a few women's retreats every year,  I no longer have the need to - not only lead - but even attend these events.  However, this one was to be led by three women I deeply admire, so I went.

The crowd of over one hundred women was mostly younger than me.  And better dressed.  The room was spectacular.  The dinner was pretty close to gourmet.  I was thinking, "Oh man, this has to have been a lot of stressful work."

At program time these three super achieving women appeared on stage in their pajamas!

What???

The message was about relieving stress.  But instead of telling us how,  they began by each of them confessing to a part of their personalities that cause them big time stress at Christmas Time.

1.  People Pleaser - My minister, Jayne, confessed to this.  How can it be?  She's one of the best executives I've ever seen, as well as being an outstanding teacher and preacher.  And, oh yeah, she's a wife and mom.

2.  Perfectionist -  Merrill confessed to this.  How can it be?  She's a life coach and the mother of five kids.  So, yeah, it has to be hard to keep a perfect house at Christmas time with five kids and a job.

3.  Performer - Michele is an amazing, nearly perfect person - professionally and personally.  She knows she does things well and is great at keeping several balls in the air - at all times.  But she told us about getting so stressed the week before that she actually yelled at her kids.

About 80 women were murmuring under their breathes "Michele yelled at her kids?"

After all of this confessing the three of them told the marjority of women in the room (who looked perfect - and stressed)  how to stay calm and celebrate the Real Christmas!

I enjoyed this but didn't need it because I am no longer a professional people pleaser, perfectionist, or performer - like I used to be!


***