Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I Am Grateful For...

Sometimes in writing workshops we're asked to make a quick, spontaneous "stream of consciousness" list.  It must be truthful,  detailed and immediate. For instance, make a quick list of all the things you're frightened of or you hate - right now.

My lists were usually gratitude lists.

And, now on this day before New Year's Eve, 2014, I, once again, wrote a gratitude list.

1.  I'm grateful for Facebook because I can see Maddox every day.  And also a little baby I've never met but her mom has posted photos every day since she was born four months ago.

2.  I'm grateful for excellent medical insurance and the fact that I no longer have to feel as guilty as I used to about it because more and more folks are getting the coverage they need.

3.  I'm grateful that Ebola is not a threat to me or anybody I know, mainly because we're doing the right thing to help eradicate it.  And I'm grateful to all the medical folks around the world who choose to go where Ebola is still thriving.  (Running to the Fire!)

4.  I'm grateful for where I live.  

5.   Last night we watched the 1968 movie "Father Goose" with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron.  It's a romantic comedy but they end up slapping each other in the face a few times as they're getting friendly. I'm grateful that most of society no longer believes that women like to be slapped around as a prelude to love making.

6.  I'm grateful that if I want to sit on the couch for five hours - I can.

7.  I'm grateful for a Forum where we can share ideas about society's problems and I can learn from wise folks not to think with my feelings but to try to emulate the teachings of Jesus.


***