Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Chef

Yesterday, the 4th of July, we decided to go to the movies.  We've given up on the party in the park because the intense heat here in sunny Florida makes it miserable.  So no more free hot dogs and watermelon for us.

It was easy to pick the movie because there wasn't anything we remotely wanted to see except "The Chef."  And we didn't particularly want to see that.  We didn't know much about it.

We both loved it.

I didn't warm up to it until a third of the way in but Dave was laughing out loud from the beginning.  It's about a talented chef who "loses it" after a terrible review and must restart his life.  Following is the turning point dialogue in the movie:

Carl:  I'm %@#&ing lost. 
Molly:   That's a good place to start.

"The Chef" is a visual treat.  Especially the food and the road trip scenes.  It's a big hearted, good natured, delicious movie.  It's loaded with star cameos, including Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey, Jr. and Scarlett Johansson.   Also an actor I love and don't see much, Oliver Platt.

It's written, directed by and stars,  Jon Faveau.  He directed "Elf," one of the funniest movies ever made and Iron Man !, 2, and 3.  His son in the movie is played by Emjay Anthony and he's terrific.
A truck load of wonderful actors in this film. 

As I said, I found the first third to be stressful but I hope it's not spoiling it for you by letting you know that, once they reach Miami, it's pretty smooth sailing until the end.   (I kept thinking the kid was going to close the panini press on his hand while they were crammed in the food truck and that made me nervous - but it didn't happen.)

I like a "feel good" movie that ends well, then ends better, then ties it up in a bow.  So see "The Chef" and just enjoy!


***