Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Congratulations SLOBS!

My high school, "Tech" in Indianapolis, Indiana,  was the largest in the country when I graduated in 1956.   One thing that gave us a sense of belonging was "clubs."  Everybody belonged to a club.

The interesting thing about the clubs was that absolutely no adults were involved.  The clubs were formed and run by students.  Some of the names were acronyms but I don't remember what they stood for.

There were guy clubs.  Here are a few names:

  • CROWNS
  • BARONS
  • HUNZ
  • SLOBS
  • BUMS
  • ROYALS
  • TITANS                                               
  • My LARKZ pin.  I was president that year. 
  • AMEGOS

And there were girl clubs:

  • DEETZ
  • DOTS
  • DIBZ
  • PRIMS 
  • LARKZ
  • JOLTZ
  • CLICX
  • KIPZ

When I was in high school I had pretty much of a non existent home life and I worked almost full time.  The girls in my club, the LARKZ, helped me stay grounded.  I belonged someplace.  Decades later I realized it was my very first accountability group.

Another interesting thing is that we had pins.  The gentleman from Balfour (the foremost maker of class rings) came to our school, met with us, took our pin or ring orders, returned with them, and let us pay on time.  Again, no adults were involved.

This coming Saturday, the SLOBS will have a 60th reunion of their club that began in 1954.  I wish them well.


***