Monday, July 7, 2014

My Olive Garden

Old World Tuscan Farm House
OUT!
When I first invited Dave to come visit me in Florida, my daughter, realizing he was a kind of sophisticated guy, said:

Mom, don't take him to those chain restaurants you love!

In a way she was right because, as it turned out, he hadn't been to many chain restaurants other than his favorite McDonald's.

But all that changed.  I introduced Dave to a new world of Denny's, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel and Steak 'n Shake. (Actually he hasn't quite warmed up to Denny's but I'm still working on it.)
Olive Garden Italian Kitchen
IN!

Darden restaurants are all over the world but the headquarters is here in Central Florida.  I'm a fan of the restaurants and the brand that does so much philanthropic good in our area.  However, I am a little miffed that they recently gave up on Red Lobster.

Dave and I like the Olive Garden in Winter Park.  We go maybe four
times a year but we've ordered the same thing for the last five years.

But big changes have come to our Oliver Garden.  I was just getting used to the Old World Tuscan Farm House when, after a little slump in sales, they decided to switch to a younger, hipper look.  Today we ate at the new Olive Garden Italian Kitchen.  An entirely different look, inside and out.
Do you like hanging out in bars?
Olive Garden has a new one.  Hang
out there. 

It's lovely, but will it bring in a whole new, young, hipster crowd?  I seriously doubt it.  Thank goodness they didn't change the lunch menu.  We had our salad with dressing on the side and zuppa Toscana - a cream based potato soup with sausage and kale.  Very tasty.  And with those little chocolate mints they bring with the bill - a perfect meal!


***