Friday, July 18, 2014

Goodbye Elaine Stritch

Elaine Stritch died yesterday.  She was 89.  She was tough talking and she struggled with alcohol much of her life but she managed to be a star on Broadway and on television for 60 years.

When she played Alec Baldwin's crazy and impossibly difficult mother on "30 Rock" I sort of thought that's what she was like in real life.

At some point the song "I'm Still Here" became her anthem.  It inspired me.  I used to say to myself when things got rough, well at least "I'm Still Here."

Watch this video of Elaine Stritch singing "I'm Still Here" for President and Mrs. Obama at the White House in 2010 when she was only 85.  

She forgets the words, starts over and messes up some more.  But she still kills it!

Sad to say Elaine Stitch will no longer sing "I'm Still Here."


***