Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jersey Boys


Question:  When do the words "Sherry" and "Baby" have 5 and 3 syllables respectively?

Answer:  When Frankie Valli's singing them.

No group ever stretched out the syllables in their amazing number of hits like "The Four Seasons."

I had wanted to see the play when it came to Orlando a couple of times but missed it.  So I was overjoyed when the movie arrived this week.  We saw it yesterday.

Two things, first the movie has had so-so reviews.  Director Clint Eastwood is getting hammered for the story line being jumbled and boring.

Second, my over protective neighbor warned me that the language is rough.  I said, "Now let me get this straight.  You're telling me that this story of four tough guys coming up in the music business in New Jersey might at some point use the F-word?"

I loved the movie.  The music far outweighed any story-line problems.  In fact, I thought all four guys ("Four Seasons") were well drawn characters.  The actors playing them were fantastic.

I loved the scene early on in 16 year old Frankie Valli's parents home where the first thing we see in the very modest living room is an ornate clock with ornate gold picture frames on either side.  The one of the left holds a photo of the Pope.  On the right is Frank Sinatra.

And what can I say about Christopher Walken?  He always plays "Christopher Walken" - straight.  And he's hysterical.

But I know this movie isn't for everybody.  If you don't love "Big Girls Don't Cry"  (The word "Cry" has 3 syllables in this song,) "Walk Like a Man" or Frankie Valli's best song ever "Can't Take My Eyes off of You." then this movie's not for you.

One of the reviewers on 'Rotten Tomatoes' said "If my father had lived to age 72 he would have loved this movie."

He got that right!


***