Thursday, June 26, 2014

Black Power

Dr. Barbara Jenkins,
Superintendent, Orange
County Public Schools
Inserted in this morning's newspaper was the inaugural copy of Legacy Orlando.  This publication is celebrating Central Florida's "50 Most Impact-ful Black Professionals in Business and Industry in 2014."   It's  a great list but I know many more - right off the top of my head - who could/should be added.

Terry Prather, President Sea World
A few of those on the list whom I know or have heard good things about are Dr. Victoria Niklas, Chief of Neoatology Nemours Childen's Hospital, Dwaine Stevens, Media and Community Relations Manager for Publix and Mike McKenzie, President, Vision of Flight.

Honorable Belvin Perry, Jr.
Chief Judge, Ninth Judicial
Court
As we all know, this hasn't always been the case.  I just finished reading Susan Crandall's book, "Whistling Past the Graveyard."  It takes place in Mississippi in 1963.  It's about a nine year old white girl, a black woman and a white baby on a road trip.   They encounter much misery on the way. But I sometimes think Mississippi gets too much of the South's bad press.  I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in 1963 and it was every bit as racist as Jackson, Mississippi was in "The Help."  As was Alabama and Georgie and other southern states.

So, we've come a long way.  And we're all blessed for it.  And, yes, I know we still have a long way to go.  But I was thrilled to read this morning about a group of 50 brilliant, hard working leaders in my community who happen to be black.


***