Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What Are You Thinking About Today?

Today the folks in Washington shut down the government and are holding Obamacare hostage.  I've been thinking all day about one of Dave's good friends, Ashley Robinson.  I was fortunate to get to meet and be with him and his lovely wife a few times.

Ashley was a college professor and veterinarian in Minneapolis but later moved back to their native homeland, New Zealand.. The Robinsons had a big life together until he came down with ALS and died last year.

Why was I thinking about him today?

New Zealand has an excellent health care system.  I understand Ashley received excellent care while fighting this horrendous illness.  A few years ago, when Ashley and I were discussing health care in the United States and other places around the world  he said something that I've never forgotten.  In fact, I shared it in a blog posting in 2009.

Getting a new health care plan going is like having a baby elephant.  It takes two years and the end part is very messy. 

So I guess Ashley wouldn't be surprised with what's happening right now.

***