Friday, October 18, 2013

Washington National Cathedral

When Dave and I take the train to Washington D.C., as we plan to do in the next few months, one of the places we want to visit is the National Cathedral.  It's awesome!  It's where national leaders, and all other Americans have worshiped for nearly a century.  It's the location for the funerals and
memorial services of nearly all of our past 21 presidents.  Except for those, of course, who are still with us.

On our recent road trip we went to Epworth by the Sea, a United Methodist retreat center on St. Simon's Island.  While we were there we heard Canon Gina Campbell speak.  She's the director of worship at the National Cathedral. She's also a United Methodist minister.

How in the world did a Methodist minister get to be a canon in the Episcopalian Washington National Cathedral?  Especially since she's the only non-Episcopalian to do so.  And, need I mention, a girl?


Gina told us a bit of how that came about.  By the way, she is a "take no prisoners...."let's deal with death head on"...."no nonsense" preacher.  My kind of woman.

Canon Gina told us that she was living and working outside of New York City on 9/11.  She was subsequently pressed into counseling with victims, families of victims and those who were working with victims.  It changed her in a profound way.

This is what she said to us the other night.  When I went back to my church I knew that things like the new paint color for the parlor were important - but I just didn't care!.

I can so relate.

I look forward to seeing  The Rev. Canon Gina Gilland Campbell again when we visit the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.


***