Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My New Vocabulary Word - Twerking

Let's discuss the most talked about issue on the national (and international) scene in the past week.  No, it's not Syria and the agonizing decision as to whether or not we will punish those responsible for using poison gas to kill thousands of men, women and children.

It's about Miley Cyrus twerking at the VMA awards.  I never heard of twerking before last week but now we all know that it's a form of sexy dancing.

And, according to some columnists, it's another art form stolen from the African American community.  Much like Elvis stole his moves from the African American community.

I've seen scores of articles - from funny (How to Explain Twerking to Your Parents) to extremely serious, about how this is another indication of how we're all hell bound.  

I've never seen Miley Cyrus perform so I can't comment there but it is fascinating to me that this gets us excited - but so many other things don't.  Maybe going berserk about twerking helps us avoid the serious stuff right in front of us.

So, yesterday, Miley Cyrus finally put the record straight about the motivation for her performance. She said, and I quote:

You're thinking about it more than I thought about it when I did it.  Like, I didn't even think about it 'cause that's just me!

So, there you have it. That's just Miley.


***