Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Me and the Wasps

 I'm not talking about White Anglo-Saxon-Protestants (WASPS.)  That was a mostly unflattering term for some folks back in the 70s who liked to hang out exclusively with other WASPS.  I differed with them a bit back then but, technically, I am one so it was complicated.

I'm talking about wasps like the one in this photo.  Late Saturday morning when I was pulling a few weeds I managed to disturb a wasps nest.  I slapped them off as I ran into the house.  then into the bathroom where I turned on the shower while I stripped off my clothes.  Unfortunately one of them came with me.  He stung me on the lower lip.  That one hurt the most - initially.

Reasonably sure I wasn't allergic, I tried to evaluate myself while I was in the shower.  Was I breathing OK?  Was my tongue swelling up?

As it turns out I had 16 to 20 stings.  Mostly on the backs of my arms.  I got on the Internet to see what to do then spent the rest of the day trying to stop the pain.  I began by taking a Benadryl every 6 hours for 24 hours.  I used ice packs, Lidocaine and Advil.

Benedryl usually puts me to sleep.  It's my go-to sleep aid.  I sometimes take one half table at night.  But even with the all the Benedryl  (an antihistamine) I didn't sleep for 30 hours.  The wasps must have caused me to release too much histamine.

Sunday, after a miserable morning in church, I went to Walgreens to visit the pharmacist.  She said I was doing the right things.

I looked like this kid on Saturday
According to the Mayo Clinic, 10 per cent of wasp sting victims have complications due to Anaphylaxis (an allergic reaction to wasp venom.)  3 per cent have severe, life threatening reactions.

So, if you're stung, be sure you're not having an allergic reaction.  If you suspect you might be, get yourself to the E.R. pronto.

Here's another tip.  In the summertime, bee and wasp stings are common on the lips.  (And boy, do they hurt.)  Why are they common?  Because bees and wasps love sugar so they dive into sugary drinks.  When you lift your coke can to your lips, you get a big, bad surprise.

Sunday night the Benadryl finally kicked in and I slept like a baby.


***