Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Up East in Newport

The land was ours before we were the land's.  She was our land more than a hundred years before we were her people.  She was ours in Massachusetts, in Virginia, but we were England's, still colonials...
     From "The Gift Outright" by Robert Frost

This morning, as part of my two hours of reading, I re-read part of Robert Frost's poem from the Kennedy inauguration.  I was a big time Kennedy person.  For a short time, I believed in Camelot.  But, both before and after Camelot, I was fascinated by the Kennedy Clan.  Still am.

So I was excited when our cruise ship stopped at Newport, Rhode Island.  This is where John Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier were married on September 12, 1953.  As you can see, the plaque outside St. Mary's Catholic Church, tells us that this is the place.

Jackie spent much of her childhood in Newport at one of her parents' many homes.  I can understand why.  Newport is exquisitely beautiful.  Dave and I walked for miles.  I think we covered the entire town.

A couple of years after the Kennedy wedding, when I was attending Tech High School in Indianapolis, two brothers, both U.S. senators, came to Butler University to speak.  Any Tech students who were interested could attend.

I'm so happy I took advantage of that invitation and got to hear John and Robert speak, well before they became famous and well before Camelot.



Here are John and Jackie, along with Robert, Teddy and others, on their wedding day in Newport.  They absolutely had plans for their future but, as we all know now, they had no idea what what life had in store.



***