Thursday, May 16, 2013

Quebec City


Fifteen years or so ago, when I whined a little bit about not being able to travel and maybe never getting to go to Europe, my friends would say, "Try getting to Quebec City.  It's the next best thing."

And I would think "Nice try - but Canada isn't France!"

And then, in my 60s,  with my darling companion (as June Carter Cash used to say) I did get to travel all over Europe and beyond and it's been everything I'd ever hoped for .

And now this trip to Canada!  This morning we woke up in Quebec City.  After breakfast we walked about four miles through the old city.  My friends were so right.  Old and French.  

We walked up hill to the Le Chateau Frontenac Hotel, opened in 1893.  Pictured here, it's huge.  Dave decided that instead of sleeping on the ship tonight he would get us a room in the hotel.  However, after inquiring about the cost, we decided not.  But it was fun to hang out in the lobby.  

We've booked a tour for tomorrow morning so we won't miss anything. 

Our cruise line, Holland America, goes all over the world but passengers have voted Quebec City the number one port of all.  I can see why.  

Tomorrow night we sail to Montreal.  We'll fly home on Monday.  After I do some laundry, I'll share with you some magnificent photos Dave took of Quebec City today.  It's just like being in Europe. 


***