Thursday, May 2, 2013

Traveling Again


One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

Tomorrow Dave and I will get on a ship at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale and cruise up the east coast.  Our first stop will be Charleston, South Carolina.  Our last will be Montreal, where we'll stay for a few days.

It will be fun, as usual, to see places I've never seen and even possibly do things I've never done - but, for me, the best part is meeting people from different parts of the world.  One of the good things about cruising is that we don't have to spend days in a car or check in and out of hotels.  We're on a floating hotel with the same guests every day so there are loads of chances for good conversations.

Thirteen years ago I was on a cruise with my husband, Ken.  He was very ill and rarely left our cabin except to go to dialysis on the ship.  One afternoon, I got on a tender to visit one of the islands in the Caribbean.  A woman with a heavy German accent, whom I did not know, sat next to me.  She said:

It's a painless death, you know. 

Pardon me?

When your husband dies, it will be pleasant.  When his kidneys fail and dialysis no longer works, toxins will fill his body. But it's a pleasant experience. 

We talked some more and then the tender reached the island, we got off and I never saw her again.  But I never forgot her words.  And three years later, when I knew the end was near, I thought about those words every night before going to sleep.

There are wise people everywhere.


***