Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Hope My Wishes Are Honored

Recently a California retirement home nurse received some significantly negative press when she refused the request of a 911 operator to give an 87 year old woman CPR.  It's unclear if this was the 87 year old woman's wish as well as the policy of the retirement home.

The 911 operator pleaded with the nurse and even begged her to find somebody else, like a gardener, to administer the CPR until the paramedics arrived.  But she refused and the woman died.

It seems cruel on the surface.  I'm grateful that the 911 operator did her job.  But I have extremely mixed feelings about this incident.  In my living will, I've made my end of life wishes very clear.  When my quality of life ceases I want to be allowed to go.

This is why I love hospice where the emphasis is on quality of life and relatively pain free, palliative care for those who have life ending illnesses.  But even in hospice, invasive measures persist.  A recent article by Melissa Healy says that ...for a growing number of dying (hospice) patients,(death) is preceded by a tumultuous month in which they endure procedures that are often as invasive and painful as they are futile...

And may I add, expensive.

She goes on to say...thousands endured multiple hospitalizations and treatments before getting care aimed solely at making their last days comfortable.

In multiple surveys, almost nine in ten Americans say that when the end is near - and inevitable - they would prefer to die at home with with a minimum amount of pain.  But family members and medical professionals many times won't adhere to these wishes.

Dave and I were up close and personal for several years watching our spouses slowly disappear.  It's not pretty.  We both know what we want when it comes to our end of life issues.

If I ever get a tattoo, it will probably be when I'm 87 and it will probably be the one above.

I hope my wishes are honored.


***