Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Emory University

I love this school.  One of the great universities in the southeast - and the entire world.  Last night Dave and I attended an alumni gathering here in Orlando.  Are we alums?  No.  I'm still grandfathered in because my husband Ken, was a graduate of the theology school, Candler, and because my friends make sure Dave and I continue on the invite list.

But I did take a couple of classes while we were there in the late 60s.  For a year we lived on campus and I worked in the development office.  And I had my first poem published in the Emory Magazine.

I love this school.

As you may know, the president of Emory, James Wagner, has been in some hot water due to writing an article in the Emory Magazine in which he used a really bad example of compromise in our country's history.  We would have to chalk it up to another one of those "what was he thinking?" decisions.  We've all been there.  I've been there several times.

So, last night, the last thing Dr. Wagner would want to talk about would be compromise.  Right?  Wrong.  The topic for his dialogue with Dr. Cecil Wilson was the need for a liberal arts education and compromise in our society.

It was a thrilling conversation.

Liberal arts has to do with the concept of critical thinking.  That is to say, learning how to think.  A great example he gave was - instead of joining a group and adopting that group's thinking - expand your mind through education and bring your own thoughts to a group.  What a concept!

I have no doubt that Dr. Wagner will weather the storm of his "misspeak."  Last night he was candid, smart and totally charming.

After about 150 years, Emory University continues to grow in every way.   And continues to be one of the finest universities on the planet.  Emory graduates continue to change the world for the better.  I'm proud to say I know and hang out with several of them.

I love this school.


***