Friday, September 28, 2012

The Murder Gene

I just finished reading William Landay's novel, Defending Jacob.  It's the first novel I've read that deals with the so called "Murder Gene."

While, to my knowledge, it's not yet a legal defense here in the United States, some scientists have identified five genes linked to violent behavior.
 
Defending Jacob was one of those novels I had difficulty putting down.  I read it in three days - and that's almost a record for me.  (I can't sit and do anything for long.)  But then, after a while, the more I read, the more frustrated I became.  But I thought the ending would make it all worthwhile.  Not so.  The ending, for me, went from frustrating to maddening.

First, from the get-go, I could not understand how these two intelligent, loving parents could be so clueless about their kid.  Then I couldn't understand how they could be such  irresponsible enablers.

But the book has made me think.  And isn't that the big purpose of good fiction?

Here's what I'm thinking.  Am I responsible for my decisions - for how I live my life?  Or am I a total slave to my internal make up?  I understand that it's complicated.  After a lifetime of self discovery, I could, if I wanted to, come up with a pretty good case for why I should be kind of screwed up.  I think most of us could.

When the life story of Florida's celebrated first female serial killer, Aileen Warmus, was made public a few years back, I had great sympathy for her but I had no doubt that she needed to be held responsible for what she did.

I don't believe that "The murder gene made me do it" is a good excuse.  For every mean, destructive person in the world there are others - who have similar genes - who've lived responsible, life affirming lives.

I believe we always have choices.  I believe we all have an opportunity for "do overs."

I believe in the changed life.


***