Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Lunar Adam

Where were you when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in 1969?  This morning, that's what I asked the group of folks who call ourselves Forum to start our discussion on the life of this man who's famous for saying "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Armstrong, who died last month at age 82, and famous for not wanting to be famous was nicknamed "The Lunar Adam" because he was the first to step on a surface other than our planet.  Pretty cool.

Of course, there will always be folks who don't believe that we ever made it to the moon.  "It's all a hoax," they say.

In a way I can understand their reluctance to embrace this mystery because I'm not, by nature, much of a risk taker.  But I'm curious.  And I'm aware - and in awe - of all that's been accomplished in my lifetime.

Our knowledge of the Universe is just barely scrapping the surface.  We don't need to be afraid of what we'll learn.  Folks since the beginning of history have been in awe of what's out there.

Even the Apostle Paul said  in I Corinthians:

There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; indeed, star differs from star in glory...

So much of life in the Universe, including my little section of it,  is a mystery.  I embrace it.


***