Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Andy Williams


It's the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle belling
And everyone telling you "Be of good cheer"
It's the most wonderful time of the year. 


I can assure you that my kids got sick of this song decades ago.  Because I played it constantly, not just during the Christmas season, but all the time.  I spent many years adoring Andy Williams.

 He died today at age 84.  

He's left me so many happy memories.  He's the only reason I ever seriously considered going to Branson, Missouri. 

I'm sure my kids remember Saturday nights when we - instead of the nightly ritual of dinner at the dinner table with every one of us present -  all sat in the living room at individual TV trays and watched the Andy Williams Show.  We ate steak, baked potatoes and salad.  Our first experience in Dinner/Theater.

There we were introduced to The Osmond Brothers as a "youthful barbershop harmony group from Utah."  The littlest one was an adorable kid named Donny.

At the same time there was a very similar family group, called "The Jackson Five," making the rounds of TV shows. With an adorable little kid named Michael.  

Everybody loved Andy's Christmas show featuring his whole family, all in crazy Christmas sweaters,  including his brothers with whom, as a kid, he began singing in the Presbyterian Church.

It was truly a different time and place.

And now Andy Williams is gone.  The end of an era.

Moon river, wider than a mile
I'm crossin' you in style some day.
O dream maker, you heat breaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way.


Good bye Andy.


***