Thursday, October 6, 2011

Moneyball

We saw Moneyball this week.  It's had nothing but rave reviews.  Everybody loves it.  It's been described as sharp, tender, touching, soulful and funny.  I didn't think it was any of these things.


I didn't care for it.  The first two thirds was too slow moving, sad and frustrating for me.  Then it got better - but the ending was unsatisfying.

As you probably know, it's about the Oakland A's and how they broke all the rules of baseball by employing some unorthodox method of player analysis called saber metrics. 

It's based on a true story but lots of liberties were taken.

General manager Billy Beane is played by Brad Pitt.  He's great in this movie.  But Billy is a closed off, unemotional character.  In real life he has a second wife and twins.  It would have been good for me if that part hadn't been cut out of the movie.  Moneyball is solely lacking women.

To me, the best part of it was his daughter singing that song from Juno for him in the music store.

Jonah Hill who plays Peter Brand is excellent.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman who plays the A's manager is excellent.  I think he's one of the finest actors around.  He looks really old in this movie.

As I said, the ending was frustrating for me.  As long as they were makin' stuff up - they could have made a happier, more satisfying ending.

I'm just sayin'.


***