Thursday, October 20, 2011

Do I Want to Live Forever?

  • Two days ago I met with some folks who's goal is to help us live to be 100.

  • Yesterday I met with my Power Rangers, all about my age, all strong and vital and making a difference in the world, despite some of us coming through some serious illnesses, including cancer.

  • Today I saw my Oldies.  All in all a good visit but they're in their 90s and are weak in body, mind and spirit.  Their quality of life is questionable at best.

A few years back I had a friend in her late 80s who refused aggressive treatment for lung cancer.  Her doctors were appalled.  Just a few weeks ago I told you about my book club friend, Barbara, who did the same thing.  She opted for Hospice instead. 

The thing is that, when we get old,  cancer drugs, while many times helping us, also harm us.

If I was diagnosed with cancer now I feel reasonably sure I'd choose aggressive treatment.  20 years from now I'm not so sure.  But doctors find it hard to take when people reject their treatment paradigm.  I hope, by the time I'm really old, the conversation will be more about how I want to live.

  • Some experts think old women don't need treatment for some types of breast cancer.
  • Some experts think old men don't need treatment for prostate cancer.

Yes, it might be interesting to live to 100 - but I'd like to choose how.


***