Sunday, July 18, 2010

We Love Our Animals

One of my daughter's close friends lost her two dogs in a tragic accident this past week. My heart weeps for her and her family.



I recently received a letter from a friend who said that having to put her dog down was the hardest thing she's ever had to do - and I believe her. I do understand the love people feel for their animals.



But I also love teasing people about the crazy things they do for their pets. My sister-in-law once drove her dogs about a hundred miles to have them fixed by a kinder, gentler vet. She also regularly sneaked restaurant scallops to the neighbor's cat when she didn't think it was being fed properly.



When I told this to Dave he said they did the same thing for their cats. Then told me about his neighbor who carried their cat around in a Baby Bjorn.



Last month I read an article by Susan Orlean about the new "in" backyard pet - chickens. If you read this blog often you know how I feel about chickens! But Susan Orlean and, apparently a growing number of others, love their chickens. Susan bought four of them over the Internet along with an Eglu. A squat plastic dome that comes in bright colors, the Eglu is compact and meant for just four hens.



Susan ended up being crazy about her chickens. When one became ill she lovingly cared for it for several weeks, including force feeding daily antibiotics, but when there was no hope she took it to the vet for a fatal shot.



When she came out of his office sobbing another patient's owner gave her a hug and said, "Was it your dog?"



No, it was her chicken.

But for all of you who think that, just because I personally have what some of you describe as a "farm mentality," I do respect your love of animals.

Really.



***