Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mary and Martha

The minister at Hennepin UMC preached on the Mary/Martha theme this morning. By the way, this guy is a wonderful preacher - very smart but self effacing - and seems to live what he says. He's getting ready for a four month sabbatical during which he'll travel to several different parts of the world so I'm sure the congregation will benefit from his time away.

But back to Mary and Martha. You know the story and you know the point. Martha's busy in the kitchen and a little more than ticked off that Mary's sitting around in the living room drinking up what Jesus is saying.

Here was this morning's seminal question: What was Mary eating?

The minister suggested (with the help of a disturbing quote from St. Augustine) that she was eating Truth. True - and a better choice, as Jesus pointed out to Martha.

But as a Mary kind of person who, for many, many years, was, by necessity, a Martha kind of person, I can tell you what else Mary was eating.

She was eating the food Martha was fixing up out there in the hot kitchen.

I don't do much of that anymore and I'm deeply grateful that I have the time to pursue the mysteries of God's Truth but I sincerely appreciate the fact that others feel called to feed me from time to time.


***