Thursday, August 29, 2024

Shadowlands

 

I suggest to you that it is because God loves us that he makes us the gift of suffering.  C. S. Lewis


This is not a photo of C. S. Lewis.  This is the great Sir Anthony Hopkins portraying  C. S. Lewis, in the 1993 film Shadowlands.  

I watched it yesterday on YouTube.  For free. 

Yes, I've seen it before but I loved every bit of it yesterday. 

Many people have never heard of C. S. Lewis, despite having written around 40 books, including Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters. 

His children's series "The Chronicles of Narnia" have sold more than 100 million copies. 

However, I'm not qualified to explain anything about C. S. Lewis's intellect.  

But, I want to share three things:

First, Lewis, who was born in 1898 and died in 1963, was a scholar at Oxford.  While there he was part of a group called The Inklings.  These were scholarly men who, for the most part, challenged each other.  But they were respectful and, above all, curious. 

This kind of growing has gone on since the beginning of humankind.  Men (no girls allowed, of course in the beginning) challenging, learning and growing as a species began around campfires in the wilderness.

Second, in his later years Lewis fell in love with an American woman.  Hopkins portrayed him well.  He was an awkward but kind genius who lived almost entirely in his head. The woman, Joy Davidman, was his intellectual equal on many levels.  The movie is romantic and tragic.  

Finally, this morning I discovered that I'd already written about Shadowlands.  In 2008, when I was a mere 68 years old and newly in love with this man named David, I was visiting him at his home in Edina Minnesota.  It was winter.  My guess is that David had never heard of C. S. Lewis.  But, for my birthday, he took me to the great Gunthrie Theater in Minneapolis to see  the play "Shadowland", the love story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman.

***