Saturday, August 24, 2024

Canes

 I have a cane collection.  My husband, Ken, started collecting them and, as the years went by, he was given many intricate, hand carved canes from all over the world.  

The history of canes, or staffs, is almost as long as the history of human kind.  Moses' staff in the Old Testament was miraculously transformed by God into a snake and then back into a staff.

Later staffs, or canes were carried by primitive humans for walking, hunting and protection.

Later still, well crafted canes or walking sticks were used as status symbols by wealthy men and was part of their gentlemen's attire. 

In the 1700's the first settlers in America continued to use cans as symbols of wealth and refinement.  Later, the Puritans put a stop to that.  Canes were no longer fancy and were not to be used to show off. 

Now canes are used mostly by old, sick people.  Social status is out the window.  I have had to use a cane at several points during my ten years of battle with Meniere's Disease.  I didn't like it one bit and worked very hard to gain back strength and balance so as not to need the cane.  

I haven't used one for a while now and was feeling good about it.  But then, a few days ago, out the of blue, my Apple watch informed me that my walking steadiness has been poor for several weeks and I could expect a fall within a year. 

What?  Have I been doing those 20 squats a day for nothing?  

So, I'm back to using the cane.  It is not fancy like the ones depicted here.  It's basic black.  The Puritans would be fine with it. 

***